Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How does your Garden grow?

Do you like vegetables?

As a kid I hated them. I vividly remember spitting them out into napkins, surreptitiously scooping them into the trash, or using any other number of tactics to avoid eating them.

As an adult, I have learned that there are some vegetables that are not so abominable, dare I say even delicious.

Recently I have been reading a lot of recipe blogs. One of the roles I have tried to take on as a new mom is making delicious and healthy meals and what could be healthier than home grown organic vegetables. (Sure, my baby hasn't started solids yet, but all this practice can't hurt.)

If you have ever thought about making a vegetable garden, we can help with that. We can even put a nifty concrete block border around it to give it a sophisticated look and help prevent the erosion of the soil.




And what should you plant?

The possibilities are endless. Tomatoes, herbs, squash, and peppers are all pretty easy to grow.

Once you've got your garden going try using the vegetables in some healthy recipes.
Here is one of my favorite: ZACUSCA

This is my healthier take on a traditional Romanian dish (which is usually loaded with oil):



Ingredients:
1 large eggplant
2 red peppers
1 large red onion
1 can of stewed tomatoes, drained (or tomato paste)
2 cloves of garlic
1tablespoon of oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Peel eggplant.
2. Chop all vegetables in to small cubes and place in a glass (9x13) pan.
3. Mince garlic and add it to the pan
4. Add stewed tomatoes and drizzle oil on top
5. Bake at 375 for 25 min. then stir
6. Bake at 375 for another 20-30 min.
7. Let cool, then blend in a food processor or blender (consistency should be chunky like salsa)
8. Add salt and pepper to taste
9. Enjoy!

You can use the zacusca as a spread, side dish and sometimes I even eat it as my main dish.
Try it and let me know if you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment